Count It All Joy
James 1:2 count it all joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds
At the beginning of 2024, I created a joy list with the intention of using it to help me daily dig myself out from depression. I worked with my therapist to come up with a list of activities and items that bring me joy. Most are little things that take very little money or effort to enjoy.
Here’s my list:
Candles, soaps, spray deodorants, hair care products, all items with great scents.
A shower
Music
Routines
Written gratitude
Put on fun earrings, or a cute shirt.
Speak affirmations out loud to myself
Play video or board games
Listen to a book
Go on a walk, or to the park for a hike
Get a haircut
Take a mini vacation
Take Sunday drives
Coffee
Doodle and color
Create art
Eat cherries
Each of these brings me joy. I came up with a mantra to remind myself to find joy. The mantra consists of the idea of a wandering Sunday drive and eating cherries. My mantra is ‘Cherries and Wander”.
I made my list fun using stamps and stickers then I hung it on my wall at my desk.
Half way through the year, I started studying the book of James. Well if you know me at all, you know I like to dig deep and listen to God speak to me in what I study. As usual, there was a lot to glean from God in James 1:2-9. So I have learned to count it all joy when I face trials of many kinds because the testing of my faith produces perseverance.
I have had a myriad of trials this year from flu that hit my whole family, to my husband having a widow maker heart attack and surviving.
I have added the word ‘trial’ to my joy list and here’s why. Perseverance in trials makes me more mature and complete, not lacking anything. I’m not alone in these trials, I have The Holy Spirit inside me, guiding me and I have Jesus interceding on my behalf with God, so that I can experience a relationship with Him, and that brings me the greatest joy!
I challenge you to make a list of ‘Joy’, but make sure you include God in your list!
James 1:2-9 (NIV) 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. 9 Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position.
Comments
Post a Comment